Date:      Mon, 2 Aug 1999 00:10:15 -0500 (CDT)
From:      David Kudrav <dkudrav@eng.ua.edu>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Cc:        kudra001@bama.ua.edu
Subject:   basic info on freebsd needed...

Hi,

I am considering running freebsd and also considering openbsd, but have
some questions.  I am fairly familiar with AIX and Solaris, and slightly
less familiar with Linux.  I use AIX and/or Solaris almost daily, but only
as a user and for limited applications.

I am looking for some sort of comparison between free and open bsd.  What
are the advantages to each?  Will software that runs under one run under
the other with minimum effort (recompile) or will it be more complicated?
 What are the advantages of free over open?  Open vs free?  Freebsd vs
linux?

I'd really like to start running a unix or unix like OS on my PII and am
most strongly considering freebsd, but don't feel that I know enough to do
it.  Everyone I know runs Linux or Windows...

Finally, I'd like to keep a Win98 partition, but I'm pretty sure that is
possible; please just confirm.

Thanks,

David

ps, can I run freebsd on a 486/33?  What is the min size hard disk/ram?

David J. Kudrav                  E-mail:  dkudrav@eng.ua.edu
"Expect the movement of trains, engines or cars at any time,
on any track, in either direction." -- Norfolk Southern
Operating Rules, General Rules, Rule M