Date:      Fri, 5 Mar 2010 17:15:59 -0500
From:      "illoai@gmail.com" <illoai@gmail.com>
To:        plukawski@gmail.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd install from floppy

On 5 March 2010 13:51, Piotr Lukawski <plukawski@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 4 March 2010 05:51, illoai@gmail.com <illoai@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 3 March 2010 07:33, Piotr Lukawski <plukawski@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> > Dears,
>> > I need to install Freebsd 8.0 using floppy and then ftp, but there are
>> > no
>> > floppy images
. . .
>> > Could you please produce install floppy images for Freebsd 8.0? Please
>> > please please. I have no power to do the install of 7, upgrade and fai=
>> > again :-(
>>
>> Have you tried installing 8.0-RELEASE from your
>> 7.x floppies? =A0I have heard rumour that it is possible
>> by just changing the release name under "View/Set
>> Various Installation Options".
>>
> Illoai,
> Thanks a lot! Your solution works - system is up and running now :-)
> However, in such a case I really cannot understand why nobody can change
> just one parameter and put the file in a proper place in
> ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/8.0-RELEASE/floppies/.
> It can simplify life for many people.

I'm glad it worked for you. :)

I'm not aware of why the floppy images are no longer
being generated, however, just repackaging the 7.x
floppies is probably not the best idea:  you can select
a couple of options under 7.x that will likely break an
8.x install (I'm under the impression that "Dangerously
Dedicated" disks do this).

--=20