Date:      Wed, 31 Aug 2016 00:18:38 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Antonio Olivares <olivares14031@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: mouse problems on Lumina

On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 16:42:04 -0500, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 4:35 PM, Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de> wrote:
> > On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 16:21:44 -0500, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> >> Dear FreeBSD users,
> >>
> >> I have successfully installed FreeBSD 11.0RC2, I have installed Lumina
> >> as my desktop, it is small and does not use much memory.  I like it
> >> and have run it successfully on another machine running DragonFly.  I
> >> have dbus_enabled="YES" in /etc/rc.conf and added hald_enable="YES" as
> >> well, [...]
> >
> > Is HAL still needed? I thought it was abolished in Linux some
> > years ago and is not neccessary in FreeBSD anymore. Have you
> > tried temporarily disabling HAL and checking if it was the
> > cause of your problem? That would be my first suggestion for
> > further diagnostics.
> >

> I did not have it in /etc/rc.conf, but in some sites, they recommend
> it along with dbus_enable="YES".  I added it to see if it made a
> difference, but I will remove it again.

Note that those two settings also correspond to installed
packages. If I remember correctly, there should be no
dependencies for the HAL-related package anymore. In the
past, X and HAL didn't play nice with each other. :-)

> >> [...] but I lose mouse functionality when I switch from firefox to a
> >> terminal and then try to switch back to firefox, the mouse pointer
> >> gets lost and looks like a capital i .
> >
> > That cursor shape is a typical text field (input area) cursor.
> >
> > Otherwise, you could try using X terminals instead of switching
> > to the text mode virtual terminals. (If I read your question
> > correctly, you're refering to switching "out of" and "back to" X;
> > if this problem concerns switching between xterms and Firefox...
> > well, that would really be strange.)
> >

> I am logged in to X with lumina desktop and using xterm, xterminal.  I
> want to switch back to firefox and lose that ability.  The mouse
> pointer becomes like a capital i, If I log out of terminal(xterm) I
> get the mouse back if there are no more xterminals open.  Otherwise I
> have to close them out.

Thanks for clarification. What you see is a "X mouse pointer
problem". Inside xterm, the usual black arrow with the white
border changes to the "capital i" text mode cursor, but it
should change back as soon as the pointer leaves the window.
It almost looks like a bug - but I'm not sure in which component;
I'd suspect the window manager...

> >> I have to use alt keys
> >> sometimes to quit applications.
> >
> > Which key combination is this? Do you say that it isn't working
> > even though it should?
> ALT+F4 to quit for instance firefox if I cannot do it with the mouse.
> I can click, but no response.

Again, this looks like a window manager issue.

In Firefox, can you (a) use Ctrl+Q or (b) use File->Quit from the
menu bar? Those are Firefox's native ways to quit the program,
whereas Alt+F4 is usually a function defined by the window manager.

> >> Mouse is a usb mouse device usm0 from
> >> Microsoft, and I also have moused_enabled="YES" in /etc/rc.conf.
> >
> > The moused entry isn't needed for USB mice, you can remove it.
> >
> I will do this and see what happens.

Nothing will happen, therefore nothing will be seen. ;-)

Sidenote: I'm using a Sun Type 6 USB mouse with no moused entry
in /etc/rc.conf, and it works both in text mode and in X (without
HAL and DBus).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany