Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 1999 19:33:41 +0000
From:      Stuart Henderson <sh@eclipse.net.uk>
To:        Paul Saab <paul@mu.org>
Cc:        David Greenman <dg@root.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: trap 12 in fxp_add_rfabuf

> Are you positive?  When we switched to the sym0 driver, these "Weird
> Shit(TM)" panics went away.  The machines that the sym driver is
> running on are under high disk load and have been stable for days
> rather than hours with the ncr driver.

I've seen panics within hours, although days is more likely.
Little difference between the drivers: under both sym and ncr

I've had it stable for a week (under ncr, it's gone for
several weeks in school holidays when the box was less loaded),
then at the end of last week repeated panics within minutes
or a few hours of startup.

> Do you have any way to easily reproduce it?  I can put a lot of
> resources to tracking this down, if you have some way of easily
> reproducing the panic.

Not easily, since I have now split this box into multiple
squidlets to reduce the load on any one. Other servers are far
less affected. I could force the issue by removing RAM and
forcing them to swap, but I don't think users would appreciate
why I should do that ;-)

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=99708+0+/usr/local/www/db/text/1999/freebsd-hackers/19991031.freebsd-hackers