Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2000 12:39:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      <steve@blighty.com>
To:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   4.0 Alpha post-install bootloader problem

I'm using a PC164LX system with an EV56, 128megs RAM, IDE hard drive,
ATAPI CDROM and a standard floppy.

Two PCI devices - a matrox millenium video adapter and a netgear
network adapter - both in 32bit PCI slots.

SRM console V5.6-2

I installed 4.0-RELEASE via ftp with no problems, except that "probing
for devices" hung. After ctrl-C and resuming the installation everything
seemed OK.

When booting from the IDE drive I get:

>>>boot dqa0
(boot dqa0.0.11.0 -flags 0)
block 0 of dqa0.0.11.0 is a valid boot block
reading 15 blocks from dqa0.0.11.0
bootstrap code read in
base = 200000, image_start = 0, image_bytes = 1e00
initializing HWRPB at 2000
initializing page table at 7ff0000
initializing machine state
setting affinity to the primary CPU
jumping to bootstrap code
CPU0: insufficient dynamic memory for a request of -752906529 bytes

...followed by a bunch of system state dumps and a reboot back into
the SRM.

I'm a freebsd newbie (I've been running Linux on the box up until now),
so I'm not familiar with the usual boot sequence.

Anyone seen this before, or have any ideas what I should look at?

Cheers,
  Steve
--
-- Steve Atkins -- steve@blighty.com