Date:      Fri, 19 Jul 1996 20:34:10 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        tjfs@tadpole.co.uk
Cc:        davidg@root.com, dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Great stuff so far

>>>>> Tim Steele <tjfs@tadpole.co.uk> writes:

[snip - sorry, I don't know anything about 3COM cards]

> As far as reconfiguring the kernel is concerned, as this is my first
> install I don't have a running BSD system to compare it with, so I
> guess I can't do that.

There's instructions on doing this in the Handbook (at
http://www.freebsd.org/, or in
file://localhost/usr/share/doc/handbook/handbook.html if you ever get
your system up :-)

> Any chance of supporting the 3C589 in a future release?  or can I do
> this myself by constructing a new install disk (once I've got it working)?

Building your own install disk is possible, although not quite as
simple as it might sound - you basically need to install the complete
source, "make world" and then "make release" in the appropriate
directory (this takes up a lot of disk space!)

Going back to one of your earlier questions, the very minimum I would
recommend is the binaries (mandatory), manpages, kernel source (ssys.*
in the src distribution) and, if desired, the X distribution.

HTH

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland
james@jraynard.demon.co.uk