Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 2000 13:14:56 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Doug Young" <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Videocard query

Doug Young writes:
> I'd appreciate comments from X users as to what videocards work well
> with XF86Config. I run a
> heap of CLI gateway / webserver / mailserver boxes, but occasionally
> have a use for GUI stuff as well.

Others have mentioned the ATI cards - but always the older ones. ATI
likes to swap chips around, so that one "ATI WonderFoo" board may not
have the same chipset as the "ATI WonderFoo" sitting next to it. On
the other hand, ATI does tend to use the same chipset across a range
of boards, so the that first "WonderFoo", a "RageFoo" and "FooPro"
will all work equally well using the same drivers.

My gut reaction is that any older brand name video card should work
well without being overly expensive. The name means it should have
been popular, so the bugs should have been ironed out by now. Older
makes that more likely, as well as dropping the cost.

	<mike