Date:      Sun, 29 Jun 2003 23:55:49 +0530
From:      Shantanu Mahajan <freebsd@dhumketu.cjb.net>
To:        Marko Leer <marko@half2.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cdrom-drive opens @ will

+-- Marko Leer [freebsd] [29-06-03 09:51 +0200]:
| Hi all,
|
| I'm running this 1U server with a cd-RW-rom-drive.
| Every now and then the drive opens. Unfortunately it's a laptop
| sort of drive because it's in a 1U server, so it won't close by
| itself.
|
| I was wondering if there's any standard proces running on FreeBSD that
| opens it; I haven't monitored it's behaviour closely because I don't
| have permanent access to the box.
|
| There's no -eject option in any of my cdrecord cmds.
|
| I'm running FreeBSD 4.8 with a cd0: Slimtype COMBO LSC-24081M 3M35
| Removable CD-ROM SCSI-0 device. McAfee is installed (for MailScanner).
|
| I suppose it should be possible to lock the drive; the supportteam at
| C&W where the box is hosted are getting a bit annoyed [they're
| considering superglue at this point].
|
| Any suggestions as to why it opens and how this could be prevented
| [other than the Cable and Wireless-solution =:0] greatly appreciated!
|
| Cheers,
|
| Marko

	I had the similar prob. with my Creative IDE CDROM
	drive. It was due to improper power supply to CDROM. The
	connector attached to CDROM was faulty. I replaced SMPS
	and it solved my problem.

	Regards,
	Shantanu

--
Want to see how much virtual memory you're using? Just type "swapinfo" to
be shown information about the usage of your swap partitions.