Date:      Thu, 18 May 2006 17:44:10 -0500
From:      David J Brooks <daeg@houston.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, pav@freebsd.org
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: New category: geography

On Thursday 18 May 2006 16:58, Pav Lucistnik wrote:
> Sam Lawrance p=C3=AD=C5=A1e v =C4=8Dt 18. 05. 2006 v 20:41 +1000:
> > I would like to create a new category "geography", encompassing the
> > following types of ports:
> >
> > - Mapping - editing, viewing, format conversion (eg. graphics/jumpgis)
> > - Geographic information systems and utilities (eg. databases/postgis)
> > - GPS applications (eg. astro/gpsman)
> > - Weather (eg. astro/gdesklets-goodweather)
> > - Other software/services related to location (eg. net/GeoIP)
>
> Excuse me, pal, but how exactly does weather fit into a geographical
> applications?

My guess would be that Meteorology is being considered as a subset of Geolo=
gy,=20
which isn't really the same as Geography.=20

> Sounds more like a deskutils type of business. And, of course, it's
> rather fine where it's now, in astro.

It dosn't really fit well in Astronomy either. Personally, I would think th=
at=20
weather apps would fit best in ports/science unless there are enough of the=
m=20
to justify their own category of ports/wx

David
=2D-=20
Sure God created the world in only six days,
but He didn't have an established user-base.