Date:      Fri, 23 Jul 1999 12:11:15 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        Richard Scheper <scheper@beast.toad.net>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: SMP + XDM = keyboard lockup

>Actually, I don't have another way in, just the console. If I cause the
>lockup I have no recourse but to turn the computer off. It makes it tough
>to get info, I know. I never see any error messages in /var/log/messages

Ok.  Even if you don't have network connection to your system, it is
possible to find clues as to what is happening.

After you experience keyboard lockup, reboot your system, give the
`-s' option at the boot loader prompt.  You will then be in the single
user mode.

Examine the file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/xdm-errors which records
output from the X server and clients in the previous xdm invocation.
Locate the lines:

	Using syscons driver with X support (version 2.0)
	(using VT number 4)
               ~~~~~~~~~~~

As you are trying to run xdm in /dev/ttyv3 by /etc/ttys, you should
see "VT number 4" (notice the offset by 1; this is because the X
server gives the first vty (/dev/ttyv0) the number 1), when the X server
is running without the keyboard lockup.

If the nubmer is 1 though 3, both the X server and getty are
fighting for keyboard input in the same vty.

When you run xdm from rc.local (or /usr/local/etc/rc/something) in one
way or another, and have the keyboard lockup, you can veryfy xdm-getty
conflicts in the same way by looking at this log file.

As I stated before, I believe this is a timing problem. It may not
always be reproducable by every SMP system; my SMP box has no trouble
when I start xdm from /etc/ttys.

Kazu