Date:      Tue, 26 May 1998 17:39:00 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Lars Gerhard Kuehl <kuehl@lgk.de>
To:        jkf@time.cdrom.com, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A proposal for focus.

On 24-May-98 Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>> The 'shouting' reflects structural shortcomings of the FreeBSD project.
>
> I'm afraid I was unable to parse this paragraph at all, sorry. :(

I couldn't either. Sorry. An inaccessently ringing phone and some
other massive pressure was getting me close to insanity.

> What specifically do you see as a shortcoming we could try to rectify?

There is an obviously bad relation between the strategy to yield a
high level technical quality and the strategies to get it to market.
The latter is necessary, since the free software community can't
offer several essential tools and applications, e.g. database systems.

>> How would you define the 'free software community'. Is Linux still part of
>> it
>
> I'm not really concerned with how Linux categorizes itself right now,
> my principle worry being that we're beginning to have an identity
> crisis of our own.

I agree.

> We need to re-focus on the fact that we are, first and foremost, a
> free software project which is principally maintained by people who
> really like free software and wouldn't even BE here were it not for
> that fact.  There's a good parable about a goose which lays golden

Free software tightly embedded in a not so free since real world.
On a more abstract level this is wellknown in the BSD community, is there
anyone who could not remember the endless licence style discussions?
BTW FreeBSD has a complex licence struture regardless how plain and distinct
each of it is.

> eggs and its greedy owners cutting it open to get the eggs out faster
> which would probably apply here.  I'm all for measured progress
> towards a series of greater goals, but frankly I'm feeling rather
> PUSHED here these days to Go Commercial and I don't like it.  I'll do

I didn't like the boiling impatience. But I'm certain it reflects
actual needs. Currently using FreeBSD implies the need to maintain
more installed OSs than reasonable.

> it when I'm damn good and ready and not one minute before, thank you
> very much.  In the meantime, there's a world of promotion to do
> strictly within the free software community, promotion which will pay
> big dividends later, and we need to be just a little more patient
> about it.  Many folks say that that linux has about a 3 year lead on
> FreeBSD, and it's simply going to take us some time to make that up.

Two years ago one, last year two, now three, next... ;-)

> They also say that Linux has several million hobbiests who have made
> Linux their personal passion and I'd like to be able to say the same
> thing for FreeBSD before I even think about commercial ventures.

I don't know whether I've really the same vision. FreeBSD might have
a slightly different market. One of the most favourable reasons to prefer
FreeBSD is its community. People who are able to decide what's technically
important, not religiously zealous feature collectors.

Linux has other advantages. If a Linux user needs software, he takes
a catalogue, fills in an order form, sends it to the supplier and
enjoys the delivery including installation support a week later.

That's not so bad, too.

Lars

                                          Ph:   +49 40 54768010
Lars Gerhard Kuehl                        Fx:   +49 40 54768012
                                          Mo:   +49 171 9307085
   EDV-Beratung                           Em:   kuehl@lgk.de

                BSD User Group Hamburg, Germany