Date:      Sun, 24 Jan 2021 17:10:37 +0100
From:      Christoph Brinkhaus <c.brinkhaus@t-online.de>
To:        Victor Sudakov <vas@sibptus.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xorg crashes several times a day

Am Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 10:49:01PM +0700 schrieb Victor Sudakov:
> Christoph Brinkhaus wrote:
>
> [dd]
>

> > > But really, is the graphics/drm-kmod port really necessary and why? The
> > > default FreeBSD installation already contains /boot/kernel/i915kms.ko
> > > and /boot/kernel/drm2.ko, and I load them from rc.conf.
> > >
> > > Is anything wrong with them?
> >
> > According to the FreeBSD Forum the packages are build for the oldest
> > supported branches. For the 12 series it is currently 12.1. The
> > drm-fbsd12.0-kmod is one of the very rare cases where is a conflict
> > between FreeBSD-12.1 and FreeBSD-12.2 exists. Therefore it must be
> > build from ports for FreeBSD-12.2 installations until FreeBSD-12.1 is
> > end of life.
>
> My question was a bit different.

I am sorry for my misunderstanding.

> Why are the /boot/kernel/i915kms.ko and /boot/kernel/drm2.ko modules,
> those that come with the GENERIC kernel, not good enough?
>
> There is no problem keeping *them* in sync with the current installation.

At least i915kms.ko works fine with my setup. It is loaded via
kld_list="i915kms" in /etc/rc.conf. Iif I am not wrong it should
get the module from /boot/kernel/i915kms.ko.
The module works together with the Intel driver xf86-video-intel.

I have no experience with the drm2.ko module.

In the past there have been entries in the Xorg.log that the driver
will be discontinued at FreeBSD-13. There is still a lot of time until
I have to upgrade to FreeBSD-13. Therefore I have ignored the warning
and the hassle with the compilation of the drm stuff.
With the newest Intel driver even the warning in the Xorg.log is gone.

Kind regards,
Christoph