Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 2000 01:39:09 -0400
From:      Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP! New (incomplete) /dev/random device!

Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Jun 2000, Warner Losh wrote:
>
> > Some days is OK, imho.  Much more than that and I'd begin to worry.
> > Much more than a week or two and I'd worry a lot.  I'll go put a note
> > in updating right now.
>
> That's okay with me too. People should just not upgrade their work
> machines for the next few days until entropy is fixed.

It would be interesting to see how many people are using
FreeBSD-current as a "work" machine, if you mean "work" to be a
production machine doing actual server work.  A lot of times, -current
has been pretty stable for me, and I avoided a lot of "make world" and
stability problems by following what's going on in this mailing list.
I've only had a couple problems over the past 3 1/2 years with
stability in FreeBSD-current, starting with 3.0-current.  Granted,
it's not generally recommended to use -current boxes as your main
machine, but if you're careful, it's doable.

I say FreeBSD-current makes a pretty decent production machine if the
admin is smart enough to follow the mailing list and is knowledegeable
enough to recognize the pitfalls of running such a beast.  All others
should be running 4.0-release or -stable, of course.

- Donn