Date:      Tue, 19 Oct 2004 21:21:49 +0300
From:      Omer Faruk Sen <ofsen@enderunix.org>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   ipfw bw limiting question

Hi,

I am  having troubles with understanding ipfw mask option (which related
with bw limiting).

For example I want to limit traffic on port 80 from my server to any IP
adress. But all of the connecting IPs should have the same bw which is
configured via mask src-ip am I right?

For example:

ipfw add pipe 1 tcp from x.x.x.x./32 80 to any out xmit em0
ipfw pipe 1 config bw 100Kbits/s mask src-ip 0xffffffff

These commands are supposed to do that:

x.x.x.x:80 ---> IP1:xxx (100Kbits/s bw limit)
x.x.x.x:80 ---> IP2:xxx (100 kbits/s bw limit)

What I didn't understand is why I am stating src-ip 0xfffffff as the mask. I
mean in my bw limiting rules destionation ips (IP1, IP2 ...) should be the
one that create dynamic pipes whose bw is 100kbits/s for each pipe. But I
give src-ip 0xfffffff. Shouldn't the right way for that is to use dst-ip
0xffffff here?

I have searched internet and as far as I read I am wrong. I am missing some
point here. Can anyone help me?

Omer Faruk Sen
http://www.EnderUNIX.ORG
Software Development Team @ Turkey
http://www.Faruk.NET
For Public key: http://www.enderunix.org/ofsen/ofsen.asc

First Turkish FreeBSD book is out! Go check it.
Duydunuz mu! Turkiye'nin ilk FreeBSD kitabi cikti.
http://www.acikkod.com/freebsd.php