Date:      Wed, 18 Feb 1998 17:03:38 +0100
From:      "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   KDE 3.1b compiles on 2.2.5, but it doesn't work

I have just compiled without any problems the latest KDE ports:
kdelibs-3.1b, kdebase-3.1b, kdesupport-3.1b and kdeutils-3.1b.
My system is a PPro running 2.2.5 and XFree86 3.3.1.

When I run "startkde", the window manager starts up and it works.
I can run applications typing ALT-F2+command. However, kfm hangs up
just after it starts, and I cannot start any application from the
menu at the bottom panel. If I switch to the text console I can
see the following error messages:

Qfile::writeBlock::File not open
QsocketNotifier: Invalid socket specified
QsocketNotifier: Internal error

The last two messages appear whenever I try to start any application
from the menu.

KDE 1.2b run fine on my system. I must say that I didn't forget to
delete my old .kde and Desktop directories before starting KDE 3.1b.

I would be very grateful for any help.

-- JM
Jose M. Alcaide                         | mailto:jose@we.lc.ehu.es
Universidad del Pais Vasco              | http://www.we.lc.ehu.es/~jose
Dpto. de Electricidad y Electronica     |
Facultad de Ciencias - Campus de Lejona | Tel.:  +34-4-4647700 x2624
48940 Lejona (Vizcaya) - SPAIN          | Fax:   +34-4-4858139