Date:      Fri, 06 Nov 1998 11:47:09 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
Cc:        chuckr@mat.net (Chuck Robey), mike@smith.net.au, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ficl

> Devices: Apart from video and serial consoles, disk and net devices
> are currently provided for.  Though, at least on the i386, it should
> be reasonably easy to add access to anything that has BIOS or other
> firmware support.

Hmmm.  CDs must be a bitch, however, since they're not mapped into the
BIOS drive list.  Do you support talking to them outside of the El
Torrito bios hack?  I'm not really sure what you mean by "net devices"
either - how does one configure and use a typical NIC from the BTX
environment?

> Filesystems: cd9960, dosfs, nfs, and ufs; as well as zipfs and
> tftp.  Adding read-only support for a local filesystem needs ~700
> lines of C at the moment.

Could you perhaps say a few words on the filename space issues around
this?

Let's say I have the following scenario: I've booted the loader off a
floppy on a system which also has 2 hard drives, one of which has a
DOS file system on it and a FreeBSD partition, the other being devoted
solely to FreeBSD.  I also have a SCSI CDROM and a PCI network adaptor
(call it a DECchip NIC, just for arguments sake) in the machine.
In this environment, what exactly are my options?  I know I can
open /foo/bar in order to grab /foo/bar off the floppy, but what
about the DOS partition?  The FreeBSD root filesystem?  An NFS or
TFTP host?  Questions questions! :-)

Thanks!

- Jordan