Date:      Tue, 25 Sep 2001 07:59:00 +0200
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Looking for Mr good mail archiver port...[OT ?]

Hello,
Yesterday I cleaned up a lot of my mail directories and
archived a lot of the messages for future use. What I want
to do is to create my own personal database of information from
the various mailing lists I am on. I also tend to eliminate
the messages that say "thanks, I will try that" etc.. (not because
there is anything wrong with that, I am just trying to keep
concrete information).
Now I am looking for a way of handling this ever growing
body of information. Rather than having to load mailboxes
and search etc.
For example say I am looking for a piece of information on
"FreeBSD and Massively Parallel Processors for use on the
Moon" I want to do fuzzy searches on the mail files and come up
with an indexed display of relevant messages. Bearing in mind
that some of my saved archives come from different mailing lists.

My question is, is there a tool out there that will help with this?
I could write one myself of course..I was thinking of mysql or
some such.

I am not being sycophantic when I say I am asking this list for
information because technically wise it is consistently more
responsive than some of the other lists I am on !

I use postfix/procmail/mutt as my mail setup and slrn for news.
(if that is of any relevance).
My mailbox format is mbox.

Thanks in advance.

p.s. I have it on my list to have a look at grepmail.

--
Regards
Cliff