Date:      Wed, 31 Oct 2001 00:24:25 -0800
From:      Brian Sobolak <sobolak@mindspring.com>
To:        Bsd Neophyte <bsdneophyte@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: samba problem...

Hello Bsd,

BN> I know this isn't a place for Samba issues... but the people on the samba
BN> mailing list... seem to be stumped too.

BN> I'm having the same problem like before...

BN> I installed Samaba from the sources on my FreeBSD 4.4 machine.

BN> I made a simple smb.conf file. I manually ran smbd and nmbd with the "-D"
BN> argument. I can use smbclient to connect internally from my FreeBSD box.
BN> In addition, testparm, yields no errors.

BN> But... for the life of me I cannot get my useless windows machines to
BN> connect to the samba server. I've tried it all... i've tried mapping the
BN> drives... using "net use e: \\froggie5\test" and "net view" from the dos
BN> prompt.

A few thoughts off the top of my head:

1.  Any info in the logs, e.g. /var/log/smb.log or nmd.log?

2.  Have you tried connecting by IP, e.g. map a drive to
<IP>\<Sharename>?  Helps to test connectivity

3.  What version of windows are you running?

--
Best regards,
 Brian                            mailto:sobolak@mindspring.com