Date:      Fri, 1 Dec 2000 10:37:13 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Here is what IBM thinks about using FreeBSD on their newer

At 3:11 AM +0000 2000/12/1, Terry Lambert wrote:

>  IBM does not sell InterJets, any more than your local cable
>  company sells set-top boxes: IBM sells services.  Since an
>  end user does not _buy_ an InterJet, they are not entitled to
>  the source code, even if it was all contaminated: they are
>  not being sold the software.

	Right.  This is one of the key reasons why I never considered
getting an InterJet.  If someone *sold* a BSD-based device that is
otherwise identical to this, I would have bought one in a nanosecond,
but I don't want to buy a Linux-based Qube, nor do I want to shackle
myself forever to a service provider.

	Everyone is getting into the "give away a piece of hardware that
does something that used to be free and sell the services" business
model, but not everyone is buying it.

	I'm not going to pay TiVo $$$ per month to take an electronic TV
schedule (the contents of which are printed for "free" in newspapers
and magazines around the world) and then have a computer digitally
record the stuff I want to watch.

	If someone wants to *sell* me the box that does this via other
services that are already available (via broadcast during the
vertical blanking interval on PBS stations, etc...), I'll be more
than happy to spend lots of extra money to get that, but I simply
refuse to shackle myself to buying a set of services for the rest of
my life.

Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>                || Belgacom Skynet SA/NV
Systems Architect, Mail/News/FTP/Proxy Admin || Rue Colonel Bourg, 124
Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.13.11/12.49             || B-1140 Brussels
http://www.skynet.be                         || Belgium