Date:      Thu, 27 Dec 2001 22:06:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Thierry Thomas <thierry@thomas.as>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: swap_pager problem [was Re: 4.5 PRERELEASE - Call for testing]

:I have upgraded this morning from 4.4-stable to 4.5-prerelease (cvsup at
:08:15 GMT).
:
:Everything was OK, until I get into a problem very similar to PR
:kern/30164:
:
:Dec 27 23:20:42 graf /kernel: sio0: 1 more silo overflow (total 284)
:Dec 27 23:23:48 graf /kernel: swap_pager: out of swap space
:Dec 27 23:23:48 graf /kernel: swap_pager_getswapspace: failed
:Dec 27 23:23:56 graf /kernel: pid 297 (XFree86), uid 0, was killed: out of swap space
:
:I was not running anything unusual (XFree4 + kde 2.2.2 with konqueror +
:3 rxvt + one make fetch + mutt + one gcc for a middle-sized program),
:and before 4.5-prerelease I had never met such a problem.
:
:For info:
:#>pstat -s     (after reboot!)

    That's a fairly heavy-weight combination.  Probably one of the
    programs went on an infinite memory-allocation loop or something
    like that.

    One solution is to set a datasize limit in your .xinitrc or .xsession
    (whichever one you use to start up KDE), for example set a 128m limit,
    so the runaway program doesn't take the rest of the system down
    with it.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>