Date:      Tue, 26 Jun 2001 20:36:13 +0100
From:      j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and the shift to 'web services'

| Until these services can achieve the reliability of the telehone,
| and that includes your link into the service provider, they are
| not capable of replacing on-site business infrastucture.

Hmm.  Good point.  Interestingly, a recent article claimed software itself
will someday become like a utility.

| Should ".NET" become a reality, then it will be no time at all
| before it is reengineered in Open Source.  The components are
| already there (Xerces, or XML4C++ from IBM's "AlphWorks", and
| other "glue code" is trivial to write to obtain the minimal
| required functionality).  Companies will not win based on closed
| standards -- we learned that during the Cold War, and we're not
| going to make the same mistake again, when it comes to our critical
| infrastructure.

IIUC, MS plans to use these open standards to create .NET, but it will only
work well if there are MS Win2k boxes from start to finish.  Apparently,
some of the collaboration features of Office will (already?) follow a similar
model: every link in the chain must be running IIS.  This sounds like a
creative version of 'embrace, extend, extinguish,' but they are starting
with their own standards!

| I personally think that it's very unlikely that people wll trust
| Microsoft, or any single vendor with their data.  That approach

I agree.  Their track record here is dismal.  But how many office executives
care?

'I just want my PalmPilot to sync my Access and Excel documents without
having to worry about it....'

jcm