Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 2014 15:31:12 +0100
From:      Fabian Wenk <fabian@wenks.ch>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portscans and blackhole

Hello

On 20.01.14 12:31, sa9k063 wrote:
> can someone please explain:
>
> one of my boxes gets portscanned often by some likely infected laptops.
> While having set
>
> net.inet.tcp.blackhole=1
>
> there are still messages like
>
> +Limiting closed port RST response from 348 to 200 packets/sec

According to the blackhole(4) manpage (from a FreeBSD 9.1 system):

---8<------------------------------------------------------------
SYNOPSIS
      sysctl net.inet.tcp.blackhole[=[0 | 1 | 2]]
      sysctl net.inet.udp.blackhole[=[0 | 1]]

Part of DESCRIPTION:
Normal behaviour, when a TCP SYN segment is received on a port
where there is no socket accepting connections, is for the system
to return a RST segment, and drop the connection.  The connecting
system will see this as a “Connection refused”.  By setting the
TCP blackhole MIB to a numeric value of one, the incoming SYN
segment is merely dropped, and no RST is sent, making the system
appear as a blackhole.  By setting the MIB value to two, any
segment arriving on a closed port is dropped without returning a
RST.  This provides some degree of protection against stealth
port scans.

So it is possible, that you are hit with something else then SYN
packets and should probably set net.inet.tcp.blackhole=2, or even
with UDP packets, then also set net.inet.udp.blackhole=1.

What output does 'sysctl -a | grep blackhole' show?

bye
Fabian