Date:      Wed, 10 Dec 1997 18:18:28 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why so many steps to build new kernel?

Jerry Hicks wrote:

> Gary T. Corcoran wrote:
> >
> > Jamie Bowden wrote:
> > >
> > > <holywar>And emacs isn't the greatest
> > > program ever written, that would be vi.</holywar>  :P
> >
> > Now you've done it - you let the secret out...  ;-}
> >
> > Gary
> > (a graduate of Berkeley)
>
> Nope, you're both wrong.
>
> ed

Nope, you're *all* wrong.

/kernel

;^)

And, to the original poster, the reason so many here react so
violently to stupid exercises like slapping a GUI on top of
building a kernel is that it adds no value whatsoever.

Pick a more meaningful task, one that is exercised more often, and
has a more "GUI" nature, ask people about that, and you'll (usually)
get a "better" answer.  GUIs lend themselves *only* to tasks that
are done quite often and that are highly interactive in nature.
If you don't believe me, look at the GUI for nearly any backup
product that has one; they all suck.  Backups are not an interactive
process and slapping a GUI on top of them doesn't add much, if
anything, to the user's ability to do it.  I feel that kernel
building falls square into this category also.  If you feel
differently, feel free to build a graphical kernel-configuring
tool, give it to the FreeBSD project, and convince me otherwise.

Wes Peters                                                  Softweyr LLC
http://www.xmission.com/~softweyr                  softweyr@xmission.com