Date:      Tue, 30 Mar 1999 13:29:08 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        sobomax@altavista.net
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UPDATE4: ATA/ATAPI driver new version available.

It seems Maxim Sobolev wrote:

>New ata driver (cvsup'ed several minutes ago) locks my box solid (only
>reset but ton can help). Bug is fully reproducible on my machine (Toshiba Satellite Pro 445).
>I using the following command: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ad0s2 bs=1024k. It
>works several minutes then IDE led turns off and box freezes. Interesting that
>when I looking at systat -vm measures, performance constantly degrades from
>3.3MB/s to 2.5MB/s.
>Bug exist either in single-user and in multi-user mode. Following is relevant dmesg pieces from my dmesg output:

Hmm, are you sure you want to WRITE all those zeros to your disk ??
However it should not hang before the end of disk is reached that is.
Have you tried reading all of the disk instead, does that hang ??
The degradation is probably becuse the transferrate of the disk slows
down as you get closer to the center of the disk.
Have you anu idea on how much data is transferred ?? how long is it
running ??

-Søren