Date:      Wed, 19 Aug 1998 11:06:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ken McGlothlen <mcglk@serv.net>
To:        malte.lance@gmx.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Floating point exceptions on i386 and FreeBSD-2.2.X

malte.lance@gmx.net (Malte Lance) writes to griepent@wias-berlin.de:

| Man ... i really can not imagine why an intelligent person should blurb
| something like this:
|
|  > It is a pity but sticking to Linux seems to be the only way for me to get
|  > reliable numerical results.
|
| in the given context to a public list ???  Are you really a mathematician who
| can solve problems on his own as they arise or are you just Mr. "Linux does
| this better for me ..."-whining-basher ?
|
| I don't give any explanation nor solution to your whining-problem since Dave
| Bodenstab already did (btw his reply to you was excellent and let's you look
| like a little pussy).

That is about as inappropriate a response as I've seen on a public support
list, ever.  Whining about perceived lack of features or bugs is actually an
appropriate, if occasionally annoying, activity on the part of people who
encounter things they don't expect on a system.  Saying that they look like a
little pussy is completely out-to-lunch, and does a disservice to the list, and
to the perception of FreeBSD.

FreeBSD is, IMHO, a stronger, more consistent implementation of Unix than Linux
is.  It needs every positive perception it can get.  Answering misstatements
about FreeBSD with insults can only drive people away.  ("Yeah, FreeBSD seems
cool, but don't bother trying to get support from the mailing list---those guys
are jerks!")

(I can think of a particular database development group that could have learned
this lesson a while back.  I stated a view which got me savaged in private by
one of the developers a while back, and now I'm looking into commercial
solutions just so I don't have to put up with that crap.  And keep in mind, I
was a big fan of it at the beginning.  No more.)

In any case, you might want to reconsider your response the next time you send
in a helpful answer.

Thanks.

					---Ken McGlothlen
					   mcglk@serv.net