Date:      Tue, 11 May 1999 09:59:06 +0200 (METDST)
From:      hm@hcs.de (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        dirk.meyer@dinoex.sub.org (Dirk Meyer)
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: isdn4bsd beta 0.80 released

> > Buy a new SCSI controller. 0.8x (i think there will be an 0.81) will be the
> > last release to support FreeBSD < 3.x.
>
> [Imagine on]
> What will I have to do?
> I buy an new ISA controller ..
> ... hmm only PCI to found ...
> I by an new Motherboard ...
> ... with new RAM ...
> ... and an new Vidocard ...
> ... ahhh, need an ATX power supply ...
> ... and a new tower case ...
> WHere do I put my serial cards ??
> ... my old board is full with 8 ISA slots ...
> ... I may shift to an PCI isa-card ...
> ... need a new multiport ....
> Looking back I might keep my keyboard and the ISDN card.
> [Imagine off]

There are several other ways to go, such as buying used hardware or writing
a driver for your card - its just like in the real life, at some point one
has to invest either time or money as things don't tend to stay the way they
used to be: you all know that.

Other than that, i consider 0.8x stable in such a way, that it will continue
to run for a long time.

Bottom line is, that 0.8x will be the last release to support FreeBSD < 3,
the source is already cluttered with ifdefs and stange constructs for that
and i _will_ remove this mess to keep it easily maintainable.

I'm sorry for the problems this will cause but i have to draw a line
somewhere.

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis                                    Tel   +49 40 559747-70
HCS Hanseatischer Computerservice GmbH                Fax   +49 40 559747-77