Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 2002 11:11:06 -0500
From:      "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
To:        Fernando Gleiser <fgleiser@cactus.fi.uba.ar>, <lists@brenius.com>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How to remove multiple IP's off NIC

At 12:45 PM 6.18.2002 -0300, Fernando Gleiser wrote:
>On Tue, 18 Jun 2002 lists@brenius.com wrote:
>
>> How would this compare to editing the rc.conf file? I just got a
suggestion to do
>> this, but I am not sure of the differences.
>
>In fact, you need to do both. If you edit rc.conf, you need to reboot to
>activate the changes. with my method, you don't need to reboot but you
>need to edit rc.conf anyway so the aliases aren't loaded the next time
>you boot the machine.
>
>I always try to avoid rebooting. This isn't windows =0)
>And I try to teach others ways to admin a host without rebooting for
>every change they make.
>
>			Fer

I just went through this with a need to add an alias to an interface (and
Fer had some good suggestions too then), but I was concerned about telling
the system to add/delete some config lines by line command because it (or
I) might mess up the ones I wanted to keep. The best suggestion I got that
worked accurately and without need to reboot was to simply change the
rc.conf to the way it should be whenever there is a reboot, BUT, rather
than reboot, run: # /etc/netstart

That causes the system to reread the rc.conf file with regards to any
network lines without a reboot. Worked great!

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Administrator

SageOne Net