Date:      Wed, 20 Feb 2008 12:11:37 -0500
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        Ryan Jenkins <rjenkins@centurygaming.biz>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Computers that us FreeBSD. HELP!!

On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 09:38:12AM -0700, Ryan Jenkins wrote:

> Jerry,
>
> The function of the machines we are looking for is a Tower and an All-in-One
> computer that will run a tracking software and only tracking software.  The
> software is based off the FreeBSD operating system.  The software is a
> general program and doesn't really have any fancy to it.  For instance a
> customer uses an i-Button to log into a machine and from there the software
> tracks the customers time and allocates promotion points to the Customer
> based on time spend on the machines.
>
> I have attached a sheet to this email that shows the basic components of the
> current systems we are using right now.  The Software Programmers have told
> me that this program will run on a machine with components from at least 8
> years ago, so the system is fancy.
>
> The peripherals that are connected to these systems are POS Thermal Printer,
> i-Button Reader, 15" ELo Touch Screen Monitor, Simple Laser Printer and a
> Keyboard with a mouse if needed.

First of all, always keep the list in the reply.  Don't just
continue asking one person or responder, unless you and they have
some side thing to discuss and agree to take it off list.  This
is both the polite thing and has a very big practical aspect.
The person responding to one part of the question, may not be
the one who can respond to the rest of it.  You want the whole
list to see and be able to respond.   Also, the list is archived
in a number of places and if a solution is posted, it can assist
persons in the future who can search one of the archives.

Second, I don't know anything about the applications you are
interested in running.   If they run under FreeBSD now, then they
will run on a new machine as long as it has the needed connectors
perripherals and drivers.    Almost any of the machines that are
currently made can be configured with most peripherals and connectors.

Since you want a tower, then just look at the vendors listed in that
great URL Ted posted and pick an appropriately configured tower model.
Any of them will work.  Just get enough memory and disk and
components to suit your applications.

////jerry