Date:      Sat, 4 Apr 2020 10:53:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: orphan .Xr in manual pages

> I saw opencsd flitter by in the output of buildworld, so I did
> apropos(1), found tcsd(8) which cross-references to tcsd.conf(5)
> which doesn't seem to get installed.
>
> Similar annoyances have happened a couple of times in recent
> months, so while I waited for the buildworld to complete, I
> threw together a small script to report orphan .Xr's in the
> manual pages (attached).
>
> It transpires we have a lot of those, and from basic principles
> of POLA, that is bad.
>
> Some of them are typo-ish, Xr'ing zfs(1) instead of zfs(8)
>
> Some of them point to stuff in ports, for instance dma(8) -> postfix(1),
> which I guess is semi-sensible, but maybe they should say which port ?
>
> But a LOT of them are simply bogus.

Nice work Poul, I have an ask that would enhance this report and
probably help with rapidly fixing type typo-ish ones.

Can you have it search for the command -without- the section name,
then report an additional column "possible meant to be"
    ./man8/pam_ssh.8               .Xr pam 8                      not found	pam(3) exists
    ./man8/makewhatis.local.8      .Xr makewhatis 1               not found	makewhatis(8) exists

There well be some false results (the pam above probably is), but it should
lead to a cherry pick list can get the fuller list down to size rapidly.

Another help might be to present a second list sorted by the not founds,
so one could go invistigate why that man page is no longer around which
would be useful investigation in closing any of these.

And finally, can this "small script" be added to src/tests and possible
get the CI guys to write a job that catches any growth in that list and
reports it.

Thank you, from another that is annoyed by missing xrefs.