Date:      Wed, 2 Aug 2000 20:51:33 -0400
From:      "Sean O'Connell" <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>
To:        Arun Welch <welch@anzus.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD mobile <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PCCARD Modem on Dell Inspiron

Arun Welch stated:
: I'm having some difficulty getting my pccard modem to work with my
: Inspiron 5000 under 4.1R. When I insert the card in the slot I get the
: following in /var/log/messages:
: Aug  2 18:07:06  /kernel: pccard: card inserted, slot 1
: Aug  2 18:07:17  /kernel: sio4 at port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 2 slot 1 on pccard1
: Aug  2 18:07:17  /kernel: sio4: type 16550A
:
: which corresponds to the following in /etc/pccard.conf
: # Simple Technologies
: card "Simple Technology" "Communicator"
: 	config auto "sio2" 2
: 	insert echo Simple Communicator inserted
: 	remove echo Simple Communicator removed
:
: Question 1 is why is it coming in at sio4 instead of sio2?
:
: OK, now that it's in, I try to tip to /dev/cuaa3
:
: # tip: /dev/cuaa3: Device not configured
: link down
:
: Question 2 is obvious, what do I need to do to configure the device?

Arun-

I think there are several odd-ball things going on with your set up.
I would strongly recommend, customizing your kernel:

NOTE: FreeBSD's pccard support needs free irq's for the cards and
the controller (unless in polled mode) otherwise all manner of bad
and mysterious behavior will occur.

0) IRQ 2 is not free ... neither is 8 or 13

You should be able to free up an irq or choose one that is free

3,9,10,11

are usually the free irqs on laptops, sometimes 5 depending on the
irq of the soundcard (or if you disalbe in the BIOS).  Same with
7 if you don't plan to use your parallel port.

1) change the pccard support to

device card
device pcic0 at isa?

This will put you pcic in polling (no irq) mode (assuming you don't
have any funny kernel.conf entries).  If you want to define an irq you
can change to

device pcic0 at isa?  irq N

where N is a known free irq.

(the pccard1 bit is odd ... should pcic0 ... or am I misreading? ) A
full dmesg might help.

2) add

options PNPBIOS

to the kernel config

3) replace all the device sioN at isa ... entries with a single

device sio

the PNPBIOS will pick up any onboard serial consoles and your modem
will be probed as sioN (N being one greater than probed ..)

each sioN device has a corresponding cuaaN (althoug, you may need to
cd /dev and sh MAKEDEV cuaa4 .. to make current version work) ... the
first 4 (0-3) are premade.

4) also, you can safely replace the

"sio2" in the config line with just "sio"

HTH

Sean O'Connell                                       sean@stat.Duke.EDU