Date:      Mon, 04 Sep 2000 12:51:05 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Michel TALON <talon@lpthe.jussieu.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: some problems with 4.1 stable

> Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 18:08:51 +0200
> From: Michel TALON <talon@lpthe.jussieu.fr>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> I have just made world from cvsup done last friday. All went fine
> but from 3 hours of compilation on a Pentium 300 with 256Megs
> (when doing 3.* it was not much than 1 hour). The machine works except some
> problems.
>
> First i wanted to use sysinstall to format a new disk. It ends out with
> no disks found. Thinking a new sysinstall was needed i tried to recompile it.
> But no luck!
>
> cc -Os -march=pentiumpro -pipe -Wall
> -I/usr/src/release/sysinstall/../../gnu/lib/libdialog
> -I/usr/src/release/sysinstall -I/usr/src/release/sysinstall/../../sys   -c
> kget.c
> kget.c:40: machine/uc_device.h: No such file or directory
> kget.c: In function `kget':
> kget.c:83: sizeof applied to an incomplete type
> kget.c:85: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
> kget.c:86: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
> kget.c: ....

You do need to rebuild sysinstall. To do so, go to
/usr/src/release/sysinstall and "make all install". Builds fine on all
of my systems, but you are using somewhat different compile options. I
use: "cc -O -pipe -Wall". I can't see why the -march option should
cause these errors, though. I would be more suspicious of -Os.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)