Date:      Sun, 31 Dec 2006 14:43:50 +0000
From:      Chris Whitehouse <chris@childeric.freeserve.co.uk>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   what is operator group for?

Hi all

I sent this once already but didn't see it come back, sorry if it has
appeared twice.

can anyone tell me what the operator group is for, or docs where I can
read about it? I see that /sbin/shutdown and /sbin/mk_snap_ffs are both
executable by members and various things in /dev/ are mountable by them.

I want a regular user to be able to mount removeable media and shutdown
the computer. If I make them a member of operator group what else am I
allowing them to do?

Thanks

Chris