Date:      Mon, 3 May 1999 14:08:14 -0700
From:      "David Anderson" <DRCAnderson@xtra.co.nz>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re:Help Please - Newbie Adding User

Hi again

Re:

Ulairi wrote:
>do a "df" for us, just in case. the pw.xxxx is a temp file that vipw
>uses (rather, the editor you're using with vipw creates that)...

This is what I get
myname# df -ik -t pw.0kb345

Filesystem    1kblocks Used   Avail  Cap    iuse   ifree %used mount
/dev/wd0s1a  19815    10511 -1281 107% 1068 3986 21%    /

I dont understand the relevance?

I have spent a few hours since the last posting. My main line of
thought is that with pwd_mkdb I'm dealing with a number of
pw.xxx files that are hash referenced.

From Greg Leheys book
"The list of users is kept in file /etc/passwd....FreeBSD keeps the
real
information in a file called /etc/master.passwd and for performance
reasons also makes it available in database form in /etc/pwd.db and
/etc/sdwd.db"

so when I get
>Write failed file system is full.
>/kernel: pid 350 (pwd_mkdb), vid 0 on /:file system full.

Is it the file itself or the database files being referred to?

Come to think of it - where do the pw.xxxxxx files fit into this
description?

As some backgroung info - I first tried to add user by going through
/stand/sysinstall menu method. The user did not appear in the file
viewed using vipw. I could very well have added the extra root entry
referred to in my last posting but do not remember doing so.

-Dave