Date:      Sun, 11 Oct 1998 01:15:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bryce Newall <data@dreamhaven.net>
To:        Dan <nksho@tig.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Networking problem :(

On Fri, 9 Oct 1998, Dan wrote:

> Ok I installed freebsd 3 months ago and I installed a NIC 3 months ago also.
> Anyway I want to configure my freebsd machine so I can log into it using
> TELNET from Windows 95. I went to /stand/sysinstall and tried configuring
> the thing that way but I cannot get an option of a ethernet card.

I'm a little unclear on what you're trying to do.  It sounds as though
your kernel is configured to support your ethernet card (i.e. you can get
out to the net from your FreeBSD machine), but you need to be able to get
into it.  If that's the case, then maybe you simply don't have the telnet
service enabled.  To enable it, bring up /etc/inetd.conf in your favorite
text editor, and look for the "telnet" line towards the top of the file.
Chances are there is a # in front of it.  Take the # out, save and exit
the file, and then issue this command:  "killall -1 inetd".  Then see if
you can telnet to your machine.

If your machine isn't even seeing the net at all, then you have a more
basic problem, which is probably that your kernel isn't configured to
support your ethernet card.  You'd have to enable support for it in your
kernel configuration file, recompile your kernel, and restart your system.
Configuring the kernel is too long to go into here, but there's a great
tutorial in the FreeBSD handbook on the FreeBSD web site,
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook, under Section 5: Configuring the FreeBSD
kernel.  It also explains all the various options for the configuration
file, one of which will be the line you'd need to add for your particular
ethernet card.