Date:      Thu, 20 May 1999 11:49:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Dan Moschuk <dan@trinsec.com>
Cc:        "Pedro J. Lobo" <pjlobo@euitt.upm.es>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Database holywars?

:| ¿Have you considered PostgreSQL? It is on the ports collection, and is a
:| heavy duty database engine, with transactions, subqueries (only partial
:| support), etc. Version 6.5 will be released in about two weeks, and it
:| adds MVCC (multi-version concurrency control), which will improve a lot
:| its multi-user capabilities. And, I know of some projects that are using
:| it for multi-GB databases. I've been using it for or student database
:| for more than two years (since version 6.0), and am quite happy with
:| it. See www.postgresql.org for more information.
:
:If I recall correctly, isn't postgresql *based* off of the Berkeley DB
:engine?
:
:-Dan

    No, Berkeley DB doesn't have much to do with anything.

    Postgres or MySql are both good choices.  Postgres has many more features
    but is also much bulkier.  MySql is slim and fast, but not feature-rich
    enough to handle realtime operations on complex or large datasets.

    If the original poster intends to ultimately upgrade to a commercial
    database, I would probably use Postgres rather then MySql.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>