Date:      Fri, 14 May 2010 23:04:00 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FWIW, a datapoint.

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 03:47:22PM +0200, Polytropon wrote:
> On Thu, 13 May 2010 22:00:47 -0700, Gary Kline <kline@thought.org> wrote:
> > 	well, still same on my laptop after days of trying to fix the
> > 	"thinkpad keyboard" that made the box all but unusable.  xev
> > 	thinks the caps lock is a left control key.   i have given
> > 	up for now.  {yes, having flash is a feature and/or a
> > 	surprise, but not quite doing w/out the capslock!}
>
> Within the last few days, there was a message on this list
> about how to use xmodmap to change this. People often use
> xmodmap to turn Caps Lock into left Ctrl, but it can be
> done in reverse, too. See the near-time archives for an
> occurance of xmodmap, this may help you, and maybe work
> both on PC-BSD as well as on regular FreeBSD (allthough
> it might be that KDE does many things on its own and doesn't
> care for "low level settings" such as xmodmap). At this
> point, it may be useful to point out that KDE might have
> its very own keyboard setup controls - check them to find
> out if you can re-assign the keys within KDE.

	i already use xmodmap to turn some of my unused junk keys
	into ESC keys.  since my fingers know vi without thinking
	about it and because the Real ESC key is =way= far away.
	blah * 3.  on the pcbsd forum is an example of what you
	mention above; it is different than how i was taught, but
	that's not a big deal.

	i think kde4 Still has months and revs to go in some places.
	there aer things i like about the desktop.  that it is the
	most "friendly" [or considerable] of those who have some kind
	of physical disability.  further, kde4 does not seem afraid
	to venture where other managers have not gone.

	if kde has its own keyboard setup config, i sure blew it when
	i did the original installation.  ... .

	-g

	i will google up the xmodmap stuff ... it might be easier to
	salvage pcbsd ....

--
 Gary Kline  kline@thought.org  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix
    The 7.83a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php