Date:      Tue, 06 Mar 2001 20:12:23 +0100
From:      Roman Le Houelleur <roman@IPricot.com>
To:        freebsd-ipfw <freebsd-ipfw@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   getsockopt

hi,

 I would like to get some information about
a specific rule I made from a user program.
 But the getsockopt () syscall always returns
information concerning the very first rule
of the chain, not the one I want.

 here is the (too simple ?) code I use:

  struct ip_fw rule;
  int len;

  bzero (&rule, sizeof (struct ip_fw));
  rule.fw_number = MY_RULE_NBR;
  len = sizeof (rule);
  if (getsockopt (env->raw_sd, IPPROTO_IP,
		  IP_FW_GET,
		  &rule, &len) == -1)
  {
    perror ("getsockopt (IP_FW_GET)");
    return -1;
  }

 I could not find precise information in the man page
(ipfw 4) and don't have much time to check the source
code in details. Though it seems to me IP_FW_GET is
made to return the entire rule chain...

 thanks for any explanation,

Roman.