Date:      19 Oct 2004 19:15:15 -0400
From:      Mike Jeays <Mike.Jeays@rogers.com>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xmkmf/make problem

On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 08:31, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On 2004-10-19 07:26, Mike Jeays <Mike.Jeays@rogers.com> wrote:

> > > AFAIK, the best option is to fix the broken programs.  Depending on what
> > > it is exactly that these programs needed to pull in from ansi.h you can
> > > use one or more of:
> > >
> > > 	#include <sys/types.h>
> > > 	#include <stdint.h>
> > > 	#include <limits.h>
> > >
> > > To give a more definitive reply, we'd have to look at the source or at
> > > least at the error messages you get by removing (or simply commenting
> > > out) the inclusion of the ansi.h header.
> >
> > The header files in one of these programs are as follows:
> >
> > #include <X11/Xlib.h>
> > #include <X11/Xutil.h>
> > #include <stdio.h>
> > #include <stdlib.h>
> > #include <math.h>
> > #include <limits.h>
> > #include <time.h>
> > #include <sys/types.h>
> > #include <stdint.h>
> >
> > I added the last two after your suggestion; they don't make any
> > difference.  I don't have any clue why this long-standing program, which
> > was developed on Solaris and ported to Linux and FreeBSD, has suddenly
> > started to give me problems. The Imakefile is as follows, and gives no
> > clue about what might be missing.
> >
> > SYS_LIBRARIES= -lXmu -lXaw  -lXt -lX11 -lm -lXi
> > SRCS = lst.c
> > OBJS = lst.o
> >
> > ComplexProgramTarget (lst)
>
> Can I see a minimal program that exhibits the problem?  By only looking
> at the included headers I can't know what's wrong with the source.
>
> - Giorgos

You can see the source of one of these programs at
http://members.rogers.com/mike.jeays/lst.c

It is not minimal, but it is all in one file, and it does compile
correctly under FreeBSD 4.1 on another machine, simply by issuing xmkmf
against the Imake file above, followed by "make".

If this is too complex for you to bother with, please let me know, and I
will make a minimal version.

I very much appreciate your offer of help - thanks.