Date:      Thu, 30 Jan 1997 22:24:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Stephan R. Hecker" <bebest@es.com.sv>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Questions (technical and non-technical)

On Thu, 30 Jan 1997, Stephan R. Hecker wrote:

> I hope I can find here the information I need. I want to ask some
> questions about FreeBSD. I am new to this operating system. I already
> have it (not yet installed).
>
> 1. Is FreeBSD a Unix-based Operating System?

Unix-like is better, but yes.

> If it is..
>   a. For what is Unix specially designed (Networking? Internet?)?

It works great for whatever.  The networking is particularly strong, but
there are many things FreeBSD can do.

> 2. What is the difference between the X Consortium's X-Window and
> XFree86 (not including that XFree86 is a portation to the PC)?

I don't think there's anything.

> 3. Where can I get Unix SYSTEM V Release 4 (or higher)? This doesn't
> mean that I am not interested in your operating system.

It's a commercial system owned by ...oh, who has it now?  Novell sold
it, but I can't remember who.

> 4. Is FreeBSD the same as BSD/386?

It's newer.

> If it isn't...
>    a. Is it compatible?

bsd/386 is ancient (ie, 4.2 or 4.3BSD days).  I think.  :)  If you mean
BSDi's BSD/OS then yes, it's 99.99% compatible.

> TECHNICAL QUESTIONS
>
> 1. Do the bin (bin.xx) files include the whole operating system, or just
> the kernel? Do they include XFree86?

They include a starting kernel and basic system binaries and libraries.
Needless to say they are a required portion of the install.

They do not include X.

> 2. When I installed (or tried to) FreeBSD, as I already have another
> operating system installed (non-Unix), I had to divide my partition with
> the
> FIPS program. When I had already created the FreeBSD partition (with
> 'Novice'
> installation), and I was already at the beginning of the real
> installation (where I am asked if I am sure that I want to continue), I
> put OK, and the machine said that the 'usr/' and 'var/' were not found.
> The description I gve may be more or less correct. I couln't get an
> exact definition of the problem, since I would have to go through all
> the installation again.

It sounds like you didn't configure the disklabel editor properly.  How
did you partition your disk in disklabel?

> 3. Is it impossible to merge the partition I created (after an
> unsuccessful installation) with the first partition (the one that
> contains all my data)?

No; freeBSD uses a native filesystem.  You can definitely mount msdos
filesystems, with some degree of risk.

> 4. Won't I have to buy a new hard disk for FreeBSD?

No.  It helps a lot for partitioning and booting problems though.
(FreeBSD must be installed with the root partition below 500MB.  This is a
PC BIOS limitation.)

> Please, I hope you answer my questions. It is very (I mean VERY)
> difficult to find any information about Unix-based OS. I will thank you
> for the help. This information may even help other users.

See FreeBSD's web site at http://www.freebsd.org for more information than
you probably need.  :)

Hope this helps!