Date:      Thu, 25 Dec 1997 18:33:09 -0500
From:      Norman C Rice <nrice@emu.sourcee.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to add slice to existing FS

On Thu, Dec 25, 1997 at 02:50:36PM -0800, Julian Elischer wrote:
> The 'c' partition is treated specially in the kernel.  it happens to work,
> but it is defined to be the same as the whole slice on which the disklabel
> is placed. it is sometimes synthesized.  The correct name fo rthat
> 'partition' would be the same name, with just the s1 (or maybe without
> that if you don't even have slices..)
>
> Theoretically you should be able to make a filesystem on,
> /dev/sd0 [whole disk is one filesystem]
> /dev/sd0s1 [whole of first slice is one filesystem]
> /dev/sd0s1a [a sub-partition of the first slice is a filesystem]
> /dev/sd0a [a sub-partition of a dangerously dedicated disk is a
> filesystem]
>
> The first two may not work right now but the same effect can be achieved
> by defining the 'a' partition to be the whole area. using the 'c'
> partition relies on something that 'while currently true' is not
> necessarily logically correct.
>
> If you were a unix newby..
> and you wanted to makw a filesystem on the whole disk
> which would be the device you would expect to use?
>
> sd0
> sd0s1c
> sd0s1a
>
> the answer is:
> "If you wanted to do the whole disk, why bother partitionning it at all?"
> sd0
> "If you were going to partition it then why use 'c'? what's so
> magic about 'c'?" The usual correct answer is to use 'a'
> and keep 'c' hanging around for compatibilty.
> If you actually use 'c' now, it's no real work to define an 'a'
> that covers the same area.
>

> So the long answer to your question is:
> 'c' was defined to be special back when disklabels were first
> introduced because once htey subdeviced a disk, they had no other
> way of specifying the whole disk. This is not true in FreeBSD
> so it is relying on the continuance of this 'compatibilty feature'
> to expect 'c' to always do what you expect. If we ever 'recover'
> teh 'c' partition in teh same way that we recoveredd the 'd' partition
> (which used to be special too) then 'c' will become
> just another partition.
> In my new code, 'c' is not needed and since I don't allow overlapping
> partitions to be shown in /dev, 'c' is not shown by default.
>
> I have just realised that 'c' is not overlapping for you,
> so it probably will show up on your system...
> hmmm
>
> let's just say that using 'c' as a partition instead of defining
> a new one has always been 'ok' but not done by people who want to
> avoid trouble in the future. (i.e. the paranoid).

[snip]

I will consider myself forewarned. I guess the habit of using the
'c' partition (from my Sun3/Sun4 days) needs to be broken. I hope
that the use of 'c' partitions on existing systems won't end up
biting me -- time will tell. If this does end up biting me, I will
take your advice and "convert" to using the 'a' partition.

Thanks for the explanation.
--
Regards,
Norman C. Rice, Jr.