Date:      Sat, 06 Jul 2002 15:16:34 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Igor Sobrado <sobrado@string1.ciencias.uniovi.es>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: software in /usr/contrib

Igor Sobrado wrote:
> > Igor Sobrado <sobrado@string1.ciencias.uniovi.es> writes:
> > > Moving some software in *strong evolution* (bzip, gzip, zip, Perl,
> > > and Tcl/Tk) to /usr/contrib will be useful to avoid some problems
> > > that we saw in the last years in other Unices like Solaris.  A
> > > description of some of those problems is in [bin/40222].
> >
> > I don't understand what problem you are trying to solve.

I believe when he says "in a strong evolution", he actually means
"undergoing active developement".

The problem he appears to be trying to solve is that these things
tend to change very quickly, without any FreeBSD control over
their size, shape, or direction.

This was the initial justification for the removal of Perl in the
based system, and the seed of the ongoing dicussion entitled
"Removing perl in make world".

Igor is saying that there are other tools which are obtained from
thir parties which should also atl least be moved to "controib",
if not banished from the system to a port/package.

For some tools, this makes sense.  For other tools, this is very
dangerous... and here's why:

FreeBSD has been steadily giving away control of base system
components to third parties.  Any time it takes a BSD verion
of a program, such as "tar", and replaces it with a GNU or
other vendor's equivalent, even if it's done for good reason,
then it sets up a situation like the one Igor is concerned
about.

I think that he's right for some tools; they simply don't belong
in the base system (e.g. "bzip2" is not in specified by POSIX or
the Sinugle UNIX Specification).  But for other things, where
there is not a BSD equivalent, or where the BSD equivalent has
been intentionally abandoned, it doesn't make sense.

I don't claim to have a litmus test that would let you pick in
every case; if this idea goes forward, it should be with caution.

-- Terry