Date:      Sat, 25 Jan 1997 13:02:22 -0800 (PST)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@venus.GAIANET.NET>
To:        Stan Brown <stanb@netcom.com>
Cc:        Free BSD Questions list <freebsd-questions@freebsd.com>
Subject:   Re: Does anyone know where the Gravis ftp site has moved to?

On Sat, 25 Jan 1997, Stan Brown wrote:

> 	I am still struggling with my Gravis Ultrasound. Apparently I need some
> 	thing called pattern file to play midi sound files. These seem to have
> 	an extension of .mid

	The files you need are in your C:\ultrasnd\midi directory if you
first install the card in DOS/Windowz and then mount the ms_dos partition
to your FreeBSD system.

> 	I found a reference to downloading them in the multimedia list archives.
> 	it mention 2 locations. The Gravis www site, where I found a huge
> 	collection of files with little or no documentation all in .zip or .arc
> 	and similar DOS formats that I can;t  read. The second site mention was
> 	ftp.orst.edu. This site refuses anonymous ftp login, and I think they
> 	have changed their policies a lot lately, since one of the list that I
> 	have belonged to for years was forced to find a new home after being
> 	hosted there for a long time.

	The archive is still at both of these places, what you need are
the files in the disk directory.  ftp.orst.edu has a limit on the number
of connection and when there is maintenence, they disable logins
altogether.  The Gravis WWW site is operated by Gravis while ftp.orst.edu
is the master Internet site formed by GUS Users on the GUS Mailing Lists
which I am still running.  The reason the lists was forced to find a new
home was because I had the resources and Kean Stump at ORST no longer has
the same job in the department so he only has control for the ftp site as
non-ORST stuff can't be run anymore when he had a new boss back in June
1995. ftp.orst.edu just took over the original master GUS Archives at
ftp.epas.utoronto.ca when it shut down August 1995 and just used the
mirror site as the master site.

> 	So my question is does anyone know where this archive might have moved
> 	to? Anyone have nay other suggestions as to how to get these files in a
> 	format that I can unpack them on my FreeBSD machine?

	The archive is on ftp.orst.edu still.

Cheers,
Vince - vince@MCESTATE.COM - vince@GAIANET.NET
Unix Networking Operations