Date:      Sat, 12 Jan 2013 00:00:53 -0800
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Subject:   Re: suggestions wanted.... {OT}

On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 06:41:43AM +0100, Polytropon wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 15:52:16 -0800, Gary Kline wrote:
> > 	I'm looking for a small and portable tablet [or whatever] device
> > 	to use on the once-every-75-years when I do get out.  I am not
> > 	looking for a cell phone.  the one I have works fine for auto-
> > 	dialing <<whoever>>.  instead, im thinking of something with a
> > 	small screen and somekind of keyboard.  it has to have a speaker.
> > 	some version of 'unix' is essential.
>
> Have you considered using something like a small laptop
> (like the Asus eeePC) which is "small enough" and provides
> sufficient UNIX compatibility? Additionally, a regular
> keyboard (even if in small size) provides tactile feedback
> which can be an advantage (as you don't need visual
> confirmation about something that's covered by your
> fingers).
>
> I think such kind of netbook can be obtained for few money.
> Some of them were shipped with Linux, if I remember correctly,
> and if you wish to install FreeBSD, it's also possible.
> Here are some examples which illustrate the feasibility
> of such a project:
>
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/AsusEee
>
> http://www.freebsdgr.org/articles/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/install-eeepc/article.html

	these look hopeful since  I need to update my debian  5.X.

> http://www.unixarea.de/installEeePC.txt
>
> The requirements are met: small screen, physical keyboard,
> built-in speakers. If getting online with it is required,
> that's also possible by using some selected USB "web stick".

 	I have an EEE-900A that I bought on ebay about two years ago.  it
	works fine for my speech program.  I got something about a google
	tablet, and [i think] a nook tablet. [?].  then theres the amazon
	tablet.  is there a samsung tablet?  does the windoze tablet have
	the ability to be unixified, or is it stuck with its crappy op-
	sys?

	you can see the problem of there being dozens of these small
	gadgets out there--yes, including thed android--.  Can anything
	be overwritten with anything like we are all used to?  unix.

--
 Gary Kline  kline@thought.org  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix
              Twenty-six years of service to the Unix community.