Date:      Tue, 2 Jan 1996 22:31:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        A JOSEPH KOSHY <koshy@india.hp.com>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Porting Resources section

On Tue, 2 Jan 1996, A JOSEPH KOSHY wrote:

> Should we have a "Porting Resources on Internet" section in the handbook
> somewhere?  I'm thinking of a section containing URLs for programming
> info, publicly available information, sources etc.

In addition to this, it would be super to have a little more information
about common porting issues that arise and how best to deal with them.
The current porting guidelines (which Jordan recently burried in the
depths of the "Contributing..." section) touch on a few topics, but I
think some more could be addressed.

In fact, it might be good to split the porting section into "How the
ports system works" and "Porting hints and tips".  Part of the latter
would be references to other online and print resources.

> This would give people interested in increasing FreeBSD's hardware support
> somewhere to look for information, source code and inspiration.
>
> For example: for those writing ethernet drivers, a pointer to Russell Nelsons'
> CRYNWR packet driver collection (available on Simtel mirrors) would
> be of use.

I see this, creating and "porting" pieces of the kernel, as an entirely
different class of problem that porting applications.  A class of
problems that deserves an entire handbook in itself.  The handbook could
be titled "A Kernel Hacker's Guide to FreeBSD".

In the meantime, there is a guide to writing device drivers that is being
written.  A resource listing of code samples and hardware documentation
of use for people pursuing such programming projects would be right at
home there.  If you would like to compile more references, I'm sure we
could get them in!

-john

== http://fieber-john.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ============