Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2007 08:20:42 -0600
From:      Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Grzegorz Pluta <grzegorz.pluta@segi.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Remote Desktop Connection

Grzegorz Pluta wrote:
> Hi.
> Id like to asj you guys if you used any remote desktops with freebsd? Which
> client/server would you recommend, and why? Witch wich desktop env have you
> been using it?

I use Xorg & XFCE4 on my FreeBSD desktop(s).  For remote desktop
connections:

FreeBSD -> FreeBSD: ssh with X11 forwarding (-X or -Y options, see manpage).

FreeBSD -> Windows: rdesktop (/usr/ports/net/rdesktop).  Works
beautifully for work.  Can't recall which, but some games don't seem to
like it.

Windows -> FreeBSD:  freeXer and PuTTY with X11 forwarding enabled.
Kind of interesting to have my FreeBSD desktop apps on my wife's lappy
at the breakfast table ;-).  With this setup, Windows actually is the
"window manager" --- kinda disconcerting at first glance :-D

Kevin Kinsey

--
Condense soup, not books!