Date:      Fri, 06 Jan 2012 07:52:52 +0100
From:      Bas Smeelen <b.smeelen@ose.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Apparently conflicting smartctl output

On 01/05/2012 08:56 PM, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> On Jan 5, 2012, at 11:42 AM, Janos Dohanics wrote:
>> - Do I have a bad hard drive (apparently, I do...)
>>
>> - Why are there "No Errors Logged" by smartctl?
> You've probably got a bad sector on the drive, anyway.
>
> The SMART error log is a funny thing governed by various drive's firmware which have quirks.  Some of 'em only have a self-test log, but don't store the error log at all; others will only record an error after they've given up trying to remap a failing sector.  You snipped too much of the smartctl output to see what the "Error logging capability" section says-- the full output would be more informative.
>
> You almost certainly want to do a full read-scan of the drive via "dd if=/dev/ad4 of=/dev/null bs=64k", which will help the drive notice any other failing sectors.  Repeat dd if it aborts early with an error (or add "conv=noerror", maybe).
>
> Regards,

Hi,

I have had this with a drive and multiple read errors would not remap the
sector.
With write errors the sector would be remapped. This was a new Samsung
laptop drive though, not a Western Digital.
To get the sector remapped I had to fully write the drive and it was ok
after that.
For now no bad sectors have been showing up

Disclaimer: http://www.ose.nl/email