Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2000 18:05:58 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
Subject:   Re: current shot at AlphaHW.txt

On Wed, 12 Jan 2000, Wilko Bulte wrote:

Correction:

in the EB164 section.  I have a PC164SX myself, I stuck a NCR 875 in it,
and it boots fine.  Your text makes me believe you can't do that.

BTW, the AlphaBios it came with had a selection for what kind of console
to choose, of which one option was SRM.  Choosing that was a null choice,
because it seemed to do nothing at all to the booting of AlphaBios.  I had
to load the SRM that was available in Mike Smith's dir on freefall, to get
it to work.  Doing that overwrote AlphaBios, so you can't even see that
original option to choose SRM as the console.  Just means, don't believe
the GUI'd AlphaBios when it tells you there's a SRM option, if you have a
PC164SX.

> As I have received some requests to see the latest version of the
> AlphaHW.txt that I'm working on: here it is. This is very much work in
> progress, please comment on any errors. Special attention please for +++
> marked parts.
>

> FreeBSD/alpha Hardware Information
> ==================================
>
> This file is maintained by Wilko Bulte <wilko@freebsd.org>
>
> Additions, corrections and constructive criticism are invited. In
> particular information on system quirks is more than welcome. This file
> is a continuous work-in-progress.
>
> Wed Jan 12 08:37:51 CET 2000
>
> ( +++ notes attention points or open issues. Please comment on those )
>
> Scope
> -----
>
> This document tries to provide a starting point for those who want to start
> running FreeBSD on an Alpha-based machine. It is aimed at providing
> background information on the various hardware designs. It is not a
> replacement for the system's manuals. Per system type that FreeBSD/alpha
> supports you will find a section that briefly describes the system, and,
> more importantly, provides information on the particulars/quirks of a system
> model.
>

> In general, what do you need to run FreeBSD/alpha?
>
> Obviously you will need an Alpha machine that FreeBSD/alpha knows about.
> Alpha machines are NOT PC-architectures. There are considerable differences
> between the various chipsets and mainboard designs. This means that a kernel
> needs to know the intimate details of a particular machine before it can run
> on it. Throwing some odd GENERIC kernel at unknown hardware is almost
> guaranteed to fail miserably.
>
> For a machine even to be considered for FreeBSD use please make sure it has
> the SRM console firmware installed. Or at least make sure that SRM console
> firmware is available for this particular model. If FreeBSD does not
> currently support your machine type, there is a good chance that this will
> change some time, assuming there is a SRM available.
>
> Machines with the ARC/AlphaBIOS console firmware are intended for
> WindowsNT. Some of them have SRM firmware available in the system ROMs
> which you only have to select (via an ARC/AlphaBIOS menu). In other cases
> you will have to re-flash the ROMs with SRM code. Check on
> http://ftp.digital.com/pub/DEC/Alpha/firmware to see what is available
> for your particular system. In any case: no SRM -> no FreeBSD (or NetBSD,
> OpenBSD, Tru64 Unix or OpenVMS for that matter).
>
> As part of the SRM you will get the so called OSF/1 PAL code (OSF/1 being the
> initial name of DEC's Unix offering on Alpha). The PAL code can be thought
> of as a software abstraction layer between the hardware and the operating
> system. It uses normal CPU instruction plus a handful of priviliged
> instructions specific for PAL use. PAL is not microcode by the way.
> The ARC firmware contains a different PAL code, geared towards WinNT and in
> [...]

Chuck Robey                | Interests include C & Java programming,
New Year's Resolution:  I  | electronics, communications, and
will not sphroxify gullible| signal processing.
people into looking up     | I run picnic.mat.net: FreeBSD-current(i386) and
fictitious words in the    |      jaunt.mat.net : FreeBSD-current(Alpha)|
dictionary.                |