Date:      23 Jan 2001 04:55:45 -0800
From:      "Michèl" Alexandre Salim <michel@salin.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Query about planned install

Hello,

I am rather new at using FreeBSD, having used Linux for the past three years or so as my primary OS (getting that out of the way to 'set' the level of discussion). I currently have FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE installed on a small-ish 2G partition, and having dabbled with it I'm almost ready to re-install it in a larger partition, as soon as my new hard drive arrives.

Any suggestions about partitioning welcome. Currently planning to have either root, usr and home, or just root and home. But the main reason I send this query is regarding building the ports collection. I have access to a fast Internet connection at the university but the connection for my PC itself is a 9.6 Kbps GSM using a mobile phone (so I have rather non-standard hardwares including an Elan P-series desktop PCMCIA reader - part of the reason I'm abandoning Linux is the mess they have made with PCMCIA support recently). Let me detail my current plan.

1. Install 4.2-RELEASE
2. Download latest ports tgz in computer room, burn to CD
3. Install ports
2. Use CVSup (set up CTM for later regular use) to sync with 4.2-STABLE and sync the ports tree
3. make World in /usr/src
4. recompile kernel
5. test
6. *this is the biggie*. In /usr/ports, do 'make fetch-list', copy the list to floppy, download all the files in the list in the computer room and transfer in CD-Rs.
7. Build ports

This raises some questions.
1. How much space to allocate for the ports' sources? My new hard disk is 20 Gig, planning to use it for FreeBSD, Linux, BeOS and QNX. Old hard disk for Windows and Solaris. Oops, flame bait :). I am thinking of having a shared partition for use by FreeBSD and Linux... perhaps ext2 since Linux's ufs support is not certified stable?

2. Will the above plan work?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Michel Salim

Michèl Salim