Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 2000 12:03:03 -0400
From:      Jack Sasportas <domainmgr@innovativeinternet.com>
To:        "Lester A. Mesa" <netadmin@primex.prontel.net>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How many Virtual Hosts?

--------------219BB53D31C0C10A96B824E3

This is how we did it under redhat, a little research can net you the same
results with this variable, only the echo 1024 line below is needed I just
wanted you to see where in the file we inserted it, which I'm not sure how
important that is.
We then just bound 2 class C's and we were running...

Hope this gives some direction...

Modify script /etc/rc.d/init.d/network
In the section cut out below, after ipv4_forward add the line that re-writes
the /proc/sys/net/core/net_alias_max

case "$1" in
  start)
        ipv4_forward_set
        echo 1024 > /proc/sys/net/core/net_alias_max

"Lester A. Mesa" wrote:

> According to http://www.apache.org/docs-1.2/misc/FAQ.html#fdlim has anyone
> found a way to run more than 128 to 250 virtual hosts on an Apache Web
> Server 1.3.12 running on FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE?
> Our system is a Rackmount Dual Pentium ]|[ 500, 512MB Ram, u3w SCSI HD.  I
> know that it all depends on how many hits per day the server will be
> getting, though we do not have an approximate amount but I still need to
> prepare the servers to take as many hits as possible and to handle as many
> virtual host as it can.  Any information will be very valuable.
>
> Lester A. Mesa
> lmesa@prontel.com

Jack Sasportas
Innovative Internet Solutions
Phone 305.665.2500
Fax 305.665.2551
www.innovativeinternet.com
www.web56.net

--------------219BB53D31C0C10A96B824E3

This is how we did it under redhat, a little research can net you the same
results with this variable, only the echo 1024 line below is needed I just
wanted you to see where in the file we inserted it, which I'm not sure
how important that is.
re-writes the /proc/sys/net/core/net_alias_max
1024 > /proc/sys/net/core/net_alias_max</b></font>
has anyone
Web
HD.&nbsp; I
as many