Date:      Thu, 26 Jun 2008 14:00:10 -0400
From:      "David Robillard" <david.robillard@gmail.com>
To:        prad <prad@towardsfreedom.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: to scsi or not to scsi

> i've heard scsi hard drives are really good.
> i've also seen at least one site which claims that ide easily
> outperform scsi.

I seriously doubt that. Maybe if you take a single old first
generation SCSI disk and compare it to a modern IDE drive. But that's
not exactly comparing apples to apples. Granted that IDE may beat SCSI
in peak performance in a test environment. But IMHO, SCSI is far
superior in sustained performance in real life scenarios.

> for the server we  got (dual P3 1GHz 2M which will use raid), is one
> preferable over the other? and what about sata?

Choosing between SCSI or IDE or SAS or SATA or FC is mostly a question
of Cost, Performance, Reliability and Expected Workload.

If you plan to have two users on that dual P3 machine, then go for any
cheap drive in RAID1, be it IDE or SATA. That's going to work alright.

But if you're going to install a database on this machine with 100+
concurent users. Then I'd go for SCSI or SAS (and a new hardware for
that matter :)

Generally speaking, SCSI, SAS and FC disks are Enterprise class disks
while IDE and SATA are Workstation/Home class disks. SCSI/SAS/FC disks
are not cheap, but more robust (i.e. MTBF is better then for IDE/SATA
disks) and generally faster (I've never seen a 15,000 rpm IDE disk for
instance). You use SCSI/SAS/FC disks for high workload machines where
you need speed and reliability (such as Oracle databases, Java
Application servers, Microsoft Exchange servers or ERP servers for
instance). You use IDE/SATA on easy workloads or when you prefer disk
space over speed and reliability. FC disks are usually found in
Enterprise storage arrays sold by EMC, NetApp, StorageTek, IBM, HP and
friends.

You might be interested in reading chapter 7 from "Linux
Administration Handbook, 2nd ed" from Nemeth, Snyder, Hein & al at
Prentice Hall publishing. Or http://www.scsi-planet.com/vs/

Cheers,

David
--
David Robillard
UNIX systems administrator & Oracle DBA

If you receive something that says "Send this to everyone you know",
then please pretend you don't know me.